Co-trainers Daniel and Ben Pearce capped off a memorable 2018/19 racing season with a winning double at Belmont on Wednesday.
Celtus gelding Next Stop The Moon ($2.20) scored an emphatic victory in the Christmas At Ascot Handicap (1400m) when leading from go-to-whoa and romping in by almost six lengths.
Ridden by Jarrad Noske, the rising seven-year-old was backing-up off seven days after a fast-finishing third placing at Belmont the week prior but took advantage of a lack of natural speed on Wednesday and blew his rivals away in devastating fashion.
Seconda Vita ($24.50) finished five-and-a-quarter lengths second, with Scintillating ($8.20) a further head away in third place.
Next Stop The Moon has recorded two wins and two minor placings from his eight career starts to date.
Meanwhile, stablemate Trakiato ($8.00) brought up the second leg of a winning double for the Pearce stable when finishing powerfully to beat Gillespie ($2.30) in the final race of the season, the Furphy Handicap (1400m).
Also ridden by Noske, the Toorak Toff gelding was racing third-up from a spell and hit the line strongly from just off pace to nab the race favourite in a photo finish.
Express Flirt ($7.50) finished a further length-and-a-quarter away in third place.
The win was Trakiato’s fourth from 13 career starts, whilst also having recorded two minor placings and $63,335 in stake earnings.
The 2018/19 season has been one to remember for Pearce Racing, with the stable preparing 48.5 winners at a winning strike-rate of 16 per cent and accumulating stake earnings of $2,149,195, a $601,780 increase from the previous season.
Some of the stable’s season highlights include:
- 1st place: $500,000 Group 2 Karrakatta Plate (1200m) – Ascot
- 1st place: $150,000 Group 3 Roma Cup (1200m) – Ascot
- 1st place: $125,000 Listed Northam Cup (1600m) – Northam
- 1st place: $120,000 Listed Pinjarra Classic (1300m) – Pinjarra
- 1st place: $100,000 Listed Rangview Stud Classic (1400m) – Bunbury
- 1st place: $100,000 Coolgardie Cup (1760m) – Kalgoorlie
- 2nd place: $201,000 Group 2 Armanasco Stakes (1400m) – Caulfield
- 2nd place: $161,000 Group 3 Alexandra Stakes (1600m) – Moonee Valley
- 3rd place: $202,000 Group 2 Kewney Stakes (1400m) – Flemington
Pearce Racing’s sole representation at the first meeting of the 2019/20 season at Northam tomorrow will be last-start runner-up, Angel Jupiter.
[PHOTO: Western Racepix]